Monday, September 10, 2012

Week One: Key phrases, thanks, sorry.

To say this week has been an adventure would be an absolute understatement.
Sunday, September 2--Monday, September 3

My parents and I left Fulton at around 2 a.m. Sunday heading to Memphis International. We were there at about 5 a.m. so I could have plenty of time before to get through security and whatnot before my flight left at 6:55. After hugs and 'talk-to-you-laters', I headed through security. At that point, I had already been awake for 18 hours or so (and there was a woman rushing me, even though there was no one in the line, really), and I accidentally left my phone in my pocket while I walked through the metal detector. Oops. My first airport pat-down.

My flight to Dallas was quick; I even caught a thirty-minute nap! And then the long wait began. My flight from Memphis to Dallas was originally at 11 a.m., but that flight was cancelled a few weeks ago, and everyone was moved to the 6:55 a.m. flight. That's not a big deal at all, but when you consider that my 3:35 p.m. flight from Dallas to Frankfurt was not moved up, that's seven hours to kill in an airport. Luckily, I have Kindle on my iPhone, and I read Anna Karenina as long as I could without falling asleep. My flight from Dallas to Frankfurt was uneventful; I slept off and on the entire time.

Once I got to Frankfurt, I went through customs easily and picked up my suitcases in baggage. I did not anticipate the number of escalators or STAIRS up which I would have to carry the 110+ lbs of luggage I managed to bring with me. For a girl that's 5'1", I'm relatively strong, but I think I just had too many things with me. People were so helpful everywhere I went though, helping me carry things, helping me to try to figure out the train, helping me when I sat in the wrong place on the train. I think on day one, I mostly said 'thank you' and 'sorry'.


All of my stuff. It doesn't look like much, but... 

After I got to Bonn, I headed to the International Office. It took a couple of hours in line and much paperwork, but then I was taken to my dorm.  Later that night, I went out with my "Bonn-Buddy" Anna and her friends. My first German meal was actually a pizza... Oops. Then we went to an overlook point next to the University and watched the Rhine. I've found that I really love water and being next to a river: first in Natchez this summer and now in Bonn.

On Tuesday morning, we took placement exams to see in which German language class we would be placed. It was also on Tuesday that I met Martha and Diego (who both live in my dorm). We have invented the tea-equivalent of the German kaffeestunde (coffee hour), which makes us awesome. 

In German, I somehow tested into B1, which is apparently the equivalent of a 300-level German class in the US. A new friend of mine Yasmin who lives in Pariser Str. (my apartment) is also in my class, so that makes things a lot more fun. Wednesday was my first day of class, and the exchange students were greeted by the Rector of the University, something like the President of the University.
Thursday, Martha and I filled out the paperwork for our dorm so that we could get internet. The bureaucratic process was... interesting to say the least. The Germans certainly like paperwork and very little is done via internet. People even pay with cash rather than credit card, and that is already a challenge for me since I don't like to carry cash.

On Friday, we went on an excursion to Drachenfels, which was extremely beautiful. Unfortunately, after the first half of the hike, my right ankle started to hurt, so I didn't make it to the top. I got some great pictures, though.



Friday night, I went to a public broadcast of the opening night of Beethovenfest. There were at least a thousand people in Münsterplatz (where the Beethoven statue is located) watching the live broadcast of Beethoven's 9th from the concert hall in Bonn, Beethoven's home town. It was such a cool experience to see so many people (and people my age, at that) appreciating the music. Beethovenfest goes on all month long, so I'm sure I'll see some other concerts as well.


We have the most fun.
On Saturday, Martha and I went grocery shopping for supplies to make quesadillas. Martha, Diego, and I made salsa (after discovering that German 'salsa' tastes like barbeque sauce) and quesadillas. This whole experience was a success and can be observed in the following photographs.

This is my "kitchenette".
It's the Mexican flag!

Sunday, I went on a tour about Beethoven through the city and then went to dinner with some friends and got some rest. I can't wait to see what this week in Bonn will hold!

 

:)


2 comments: